Thanks to all you wonderful people for you love and messages and pictures. The summer party looked like a success. But no chocolate fountain? What's that all about?
Well- progress is slowly starting to surface. I'm pretty sure I'll be co-teaching English next term for grade eight and nine. I also want to try to start adult literacy (people keep asking). Which will be a task and a half but hopefully at IST training in August I will obtain more guidelines. I've also-- as a result of simply getting fed up with 3 and 4 year old not talking- have started teaching my small neighbors and family members basic pre-school stuff. I have three books I brought from home (the very hungry caterpillar) and after work I sit in my insaka and teach colors and shapes. And I've showed the older one's how to teach the younger ones. And what do you know- now they are talking. It's much better than sitting and staring. I've also busted out my ipod ( the time has come) and we do dance parties. It's funny- their FAVORITE song is the Obama Song by Michael Franti. They like shouting "YES WE CAN!" so cute. So anyways- I'm thinking of starting a little library in my insaka- easy-to-read books for all ages would be awesome if anyone can manage to send them.
The world map: the background is finished now I'm drawing a huge grid: 2 by 4 meters. I don't think I'll get done by the time community entry is finished but that's okay.
Community entry is only 3 more weeks! Went by so fast. I'm in town now waiting for my supervisor from Lusaka. We are visiting the DEBS office and then she is coming to my site to see the school and my house. Tomorrow I'm facilitating a teacher meeting on corporal punishment. Thursday I'm visiting a small community school I stumbled upon the other day. It's not in my district but very close. And they only have one teacher. Friday I am meeting with a woman's group. This past weekend I was busy. Went to a birthday party for a grade 5 pupil -- she named a pig after me (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but I think it's pretty cool). Painted the world, and visited the radio station in town (maybe I'll do another DJ show in Africa). This weekend I'm staying in the village because the weekend after that is a concert in town that I want to go to, then the following weekend community entry is done so I am meeting up with my fellow volunteers in Kasama to celebrate our accomplishments, then the weekend after that I leave for IST.
On a random note- because I am sitting here in the internet cafe with Motown Philly blasting- Zambians have a love for a few American things- Obama (you can find more Obama attire here than anywhere else- belts, bags, shirts, sandals, hats), Mariah Carey, and Boys II Men. Some of these songs that I haven't heard in years come on people's ringtones in passing. It makes me smile since I still know all the words!
I am continuing to learn like crazy... mostly through observation and interaction. One of the most frustrating things is the lack of motivation with the teachers. One of the best things is the intense motivation by the pupils. The desire to learn is really something interesting. Even when I get home from school- there are kids waiting in my insaka for help with homework or just to read a book or magazine. It's pretty awesome because it is the one thing that I think will make my job a little easier.
Happy birthday Rachel and Meaghan! Enjoy the rest of summer
Well- progress is slowly starting to surface. I'm pretty sure I'll be co-teaching English next term for grade eight and nine. I also want to try to start adult literacy (people keep asking). Which will be a task and a half but hopefully at IST training in August I will obtain more guidelines. I've also-- as a result of simply getting fed up with 3 and 4 year old not talking- have started teaching my small neighbors and family members basic pre-school stuff. I have three books I brought from home (the very hungry caterpillar) and after work I sit in my insaka and teach colors and shapes. And I've showed the older one's how to teach the younger ones. And what do you know- now they are talking. It's much better than sitting and staring. I've also busted out my ipod ( the time has come) and we do dance parties. It's funny- their FAVORITE song is the Obama Song by Michael Franti. They like shouting "YES WE CAN!" so cute. So anyways- I'm thinking of starting a little library in my insaka- easy-to-read books for all ages would be awesome if anyone can manage to send them.
The world map: the background is finished now I'm drawing a huge grid: 2 by 4 meters. I don't think I'll get done by the time community entry is finished but that's okay.
Community entry is only 3 more weeks! Went by so fast. I'm in town now waiting for my supervisor from Lusaka. We are visiting the DEBS office and then she is coming to my site to see the school and my house. Tomorrow I'm facilitating a teacher meeting on corporal punishment. Thursday I'm visiting a small community school I stumbled upon the other day. It's not in my district but very close. And they only have one teacher. Friday I am meeting with a woman's group. This past weekend I was busy. Went to a birthday party for a grade 5 pupil -- she named a pig after me (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but I think it's pretty cool). Painted the world, and visited the radio station in town (maybe I'll do another DJ show in Africa). This weekend I'm staying in the village because the weekend after that is a concert in town that I want to go to, then the following weekend community entry is done so I am meeting up with my fellow volunteers in Kasama to celebrate our accomplishments, then the weekend after that I leave for IST.
On a random note- because I am sitting here in the internet cafe with Motown Philly blasting- Zambians have a love for a few American things- Obama (you can find more Obama attire here than anywhere else- belts, bags, shirts, sandals, hats), Mariah Carey, and Boys II Men. Some of these songs that I haven't heard in years come on people's ringtones in passing. It makes me smile since I still know all the words!
I am continuing to learn like crazy... mostly through observation and interaction. One of the most frustrating things is the lack of motivation with the teachers. One of the best things is the intense motivation by the pupils. The desire to learn is really something interesting. Even when I get home from school- there are kids waiting in my insaka for help with homework or just to read a book or magazine. It's pretty awesome because it is the one thing that I think will make my job a little easier.
Happy birthday Rachel and Meaghan! Enjoy the rest of summer
Proud of you Shannon! I've enjoyed reading your blog, and I admire your dedication and passion for living life! Hope you're soaking everything up- this world is a crazy, huge place and it's nice to see people from small places like Owego/Campville out there making something out of themselves and sharing what they have inside and bringing it out for others. Awesome!!!
ReplyDelete