It’s strange getting a new intake in-country. The new fish farming and the new health volunteers are in training now and are already coming out on site visits—events that seems like only days ago for me. I went into Chongwe to visit my host family from Pre-Service Training while I was just in Lusaka for In-service training and I was able to meet the “newbies” at the training center. They were asking all sorts of questions- about language, solar chargers, provinces, everything. And I surprisingly knew all the answers with ease… and I thought- when did this happen? When did I move out of the newbie spot. Anyways- I am not writing about the new volunteers—I am writing about how far I have made it thus far and how awesome it feels to have gotten some momentum going. There are still challenges- I have not really started any work yet and it gets overwhelming going from village to hanging out with a bunch of Americans to going to town where it’s busy to speaking Bemba, English, Bemblish – social confusion overload. Zambians dance around problems… or deal with them through a hierarchy of people. Nothing seems to ever get solved. But I am still taking life here day by day. Thinking about two years is overwhelming. Panono panono (bit by bit).
Anyways- I guess this is a benchmark. I have made it through community entry and I am confident this is where I am supposed to be. I have really become attracted to the Peace Corps philosophy and design. There is much controversy about NGOs and aid programs. Do you ship a bunch of food supplies to Somalia? Do you send a bunch of money to help children you have never met? It’s aid and it’s helpful. A lot of NGOs here in Zambia concentrate on one thing or another while Peace Corps stretches itself (some may say too thin) across the country targeting practically anything across all four sectors (health, agriculture, fish farming, education). And I don’t see anything wrong with focusing on a specific goal for a specific population. But what really works about Peace Corps is we are the only organization in the world that helps the people in the rural areas and are living with them too. I see white people or Asians in Kasama town and they are amazed that I survive in the bush and even know the language. And when the Zambians ask how the hell I know Bemba I have to explain--- it’s because I am living in the rural areas—to help develop your country—because people from the top trying to make changes in Lusaka city are not doing enough—and THAT is why I do not live in Lusaka city or Kasama town with the rest of the Musungus (white people).
So yeah—Peace Corps gets stuff done! It is probably the toughest job in the world. But the coolest too.
And we also have tons of fun when we're together::
ANd this is at Lake Bangweulu in Samfya, Luapula Province
No comments:
Post a Comment