It feels like I have been in PST (Pre-Service Training) for much longer than two weeks. I can introduce myself and my family in Bemba, I killed a chicken during first site visit, I've got my very own bank account in Zambia, and I have upgraded from one lump- to three lumps of nshima for dinner. I'm a pro!
Training is intense: we have language Monday-Saturday 8-12. Wednesdays are health days where we learn about diseases, shots, malaria, and HIV. Afternoons are usually tech where we learn about teaching methods, the Zambian education system, and other bits and pieces that will help us with our job. My days are long but go by fast. I wake up at 5:30-just as the sun comes up- and fetch water with my BaMayoo (mother). I do last night's dishes, heat up my bath water, take my bucket bath, eat breakfast (usually fritters or white bread), and walk to language class which is in my headman's insaka. I have language with two other trainees- we are learning bemba- the most used Bantu language in the country. There are 82 different dialects of Bantu in Zambia. About half of the trainees in my intake are learning Bemba and the rest are split among four other languages. After language I stop home for lunch (usually rice, veggies) and bike to Tech class which is held at Chalambana Basic school- where my bankashi (sister) goes to grade 5. If it's a Wednesday I bike to the training center where all health and safety classes are held. After class I hang out with my family or try to get some studying in before the sun goes down. Then I east dinner- nshima, eggs, veggies, chicken. After dinner I retire to my mosquito net and study some more.
My family is amazing. My Batata is a farmer 7days/week. My Bamayoo is a farmer, cook, seamstress, and superwoman. My brothers; Cheeleelo (grade 8) and David (age 4), and my sisters; Stella (grade 5), and Jessica (9 months). They are a wonderful family and coming home after class is my favorite part of the day.
Sundays I go to church with my Bamayoo and her sister. I love going to church with them mostly because their choir is SO GOOD. Man these Zambians can sing- and dance!
I live on a large compound with lots of huts, children, and love. I have my own hut but eat all my meals with my abafyashi (parents). Everyone on the compound is part of my Bamayoo's extended family. I still don't have everyone's name down and every so often someone new will show up that I am related to. Zambians value large families (averaging about 6-8 children per household). Also- for the record- there are no lions, tigers, or bears here. My family has never seen any of these animals that so many people associate with Africa. We do have chickens, cows, and pigs- just like NY. We finally received our first rain last night and "it was a heavy one." Although my hut leaked and I pretty much got water boarded from the tarp above my bed- I was happy that it finally rained.
It is rainy season and my Batata was very worried that his crops were not getting enough water. I felt sorry for him the other day. The maize seeds were lacking water so the farmers were forced to hook up the sprinklers. The water source they used was from the local dam. However, the electrical source they used prevented them from accessing the tap water that they depend on during the work day for hydration. Since they were so behind they were not given a lunch break and the only thing they had to drink was the sprinkler water from the dam. He came home feeling very sick because the water is contaminated with manure. So-- bless the rains down in Africa :)
Most of the chores are done during daylight hours. Once the sun goes down- there isn't much that can be accomplished. so every hour is used.
So my job-- I am learning how to co-teach. The theory is that although I have no teaching experience- I have been a pupil in the American Education System and I am therefore a useful resource with a bunch of skills and creative thinking. After just a few tech sessions I can already notice I can be of use. The flaws are evident For example- one of our assignments was to observe a Zambian classroom. I observed a grade 8 class- but the teacher never even showed up. No one knew why but they were not very surprised.
I don't have much time left but I am in Lusaka right now. We are having a cultural field trip day. We just met with the daughter of one of the greatest Freedom fighters of Zambia. Her father was the one who named the country and she gave us a lot of information about Zambia culture. She explained how Zambia is unique in that tribal wars will never be a big threat like they are in other countries. There are tribes here (Since I am learning Bemba I know I will be posted in either Luapula, Northern, or Central province)- but there is a cousin-ship policy in place in which different provinces and tribes can tease and joke with each other but it will never extend further than that. For example, as a Bemba -- my cousin tribe is the Nyanjas. I can joke that Nyanja's eat rats. And Nyanja's and tease me that Bembas eat monkeys. So you see- not very dangerous at all. One Zambia- one Nation!
I am trying to post pictures but my flash drive has too much plastic around it and wont fit into the computer. My first language test is Monday and I'm nervous-- I'm kind of slow with the language (but fast on my bike!).
Also- sorry for grammar errors. Time crunch!!
Training is intense: we have language Monday-Saturday 8-12. Wednesdays are health days where we learn about diseases, shots, malaria, and HIV. Afternoons are usually tech where we learn about teaching methods, the Zambian education system, and other bits and pieces that will help us with our job. My days are long but go by fast. I wake up at 5:30-just as the sun comes up- and fetch water with my BaMayoo (mother). I do last night's dishes, heat up my bath water, take my bucket bath, eat breakfast (usually fritters or white bread), and walk to language class which is in my headman's insaka. I have language with two other trainees- we are learning bemba- the most used Bantu language in the country. There are 82 different dialects of Bantu in Zambia. About half of the trainees in my intake are learning Bemba and the rest are split among four other languages. After language I stop home for lunch (usually rice, veggies) and bike to Tech class which is held at Chalambana Basic school- where my bankashi (sister) goes to grade 5. If it's a Wednesday I bike to the training center where all health and safety classes are held. After class I hang out with my family or try to get some studying in before the sun goes down. Then I east dinner- nshima, eggs, veggies, chicken. After dinner I retire to my mosquito net and study some more.
My family is amazing. My Batata is a farmer 7days/week. My Bamayoo is a farmer, cook, seamstress, and superwoman. My brothers; Cheeleelo (grade 8) and David (age 4), and my sisters; Stella (grade 5), and Jessica (9 months). They are a wonderful family and coming home after class is my favorite part of the day.
Sundays I go to church with my Bamayoo and her sister. I love going to church with them mostly because their choir is SO GOOD. Man these Zambians can sing- and dance!
I live on a large compound with lots of huts, children, and love. I have my own hut but eat all my meals with my abafyashi (parents). Everyone on the compound is part of my Bamayoo's extended family. I still don't have everyone's name down and every so often someone new will show up that I am related to. Zambians value large families (averaging about 6-8 children per household). Also- for the record- there are no lions, tigers, or bears here. My family has never seen any of these animals that so many people associate with Africa. We do have chickens, cows, and pigs- just like NY. We finally received our first rain last night and "it was a heavy one." Although my hut leaked and I pretty much got water boarded from the tarp above my bed- I was happy that it finally rained.
It is rainy season and my Batata was very worried that his crops were not getting enough water. I felt sorry for him the other day. The maize seeds were lacking water so the farmers were forced to hook up the sprinklers. The water source they used was from the local dam. However, the electrical source they used prevented them from accessing the tap water that they depend on during the work day for hydration. Since they were so behind they were not given a lunch break and the only thing they had to drink was the sprinkler water from the dam. He came home feeling very sick because the water is contaminated with manure. So-- bless the rains down in Africa :)
Most of the chores are done during daylight hours. Once the sun goes down- there isn't much that can be accomplished. so every hour is used.
So my job-- I am learning how to co-teach. The theory is that although I have no teaching experience- I have been a pupil in the American Education System and I am therefore a useful resource with a bunch of skills and creative thinking. After just a few tech sessions I can already notice I can be of use. The flaws are evident For example- one of our assignments was to observe a Zambian classroom. I observed a grade 8 class- but the teacher never even showed up. No one knew why but they were not very surprised.
I don't have much time left but I am in Lusaka right now. We are having a cultural field trip day. We just met with the daughter of one of the greatest Freedom fighters of Zambia. Her father was the one who named the country and she gave us a lot of information about Zambia culture. She explained how Zambia is unique in that tribal wars will never be a big threat like they are in other countries. There are tribes here (Since I am learning Bemba I know I will be posted in either Luapula, Northern, or Central province)- but there is a cousin-ship policy in place in which different provinces and tribes can tease and joke with each other but it will never extend further than that. For example, as a Bemba -- my cousin tribe is the Nyanjas. I can joke that Nyanja's eat rats. And Nyanja's and tease me that Bembas eat monkeys. So you see- not very dangerous at all. One Zambia- one Nation!
I am trying to post pictures but my flash drive has too much plastic around it and wont fit into the computer. My first language test is Monday and I'm nervous-- I'm kind of slow with the language (but fast on my bike!).
Also- sorry for grammar errors. Time crunch!!
All I can say is I am glad your new family is so wonderful - because your old family misses you- but we are sooooo happy that you are thriving in your new life! MWAAA..mama
ReplyDeleteshannon, you are amazing to me each and everyday you are other there! SO proud of you girl! <3
ReplyDelete