Saturday, February 5, 2011

ZAMBIA!

Hello! Muli Shani! I have ten minutes on this computer-sorry for grammar errors- but I just wanted to let you all know I made it safely to the most beautiful country in the world. We were delayed but finally got in Thursday night Zam time. I'm with a great group of 29 people and our trainers were more than welcoming. We ring in our service tomorrow and there is a big ceremony with the ambassador and all these important people. We are the first intake to ever "ring the bell" to symbolize our start of service. As it is the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps- it's a big deal.

Site visits start Monday and I am headed off to Eastern province with one other person in my group to visit a current volunteer. It is a 7 hour drive but the 'most beautiful drive in the country" We get to go to the schools with her, visit with the  locals, cook, and see what volunteer life is really like. We just got done grocery shopping for our visit. Training starts after the site visit and I will move in with my family. So far we have gotten our malaria  meds, yellow fever and meningitis vaccines, got fitted for our bikes, played outside with the kids, did a bunch of logistic stuff, and meet all the staff and volunteer leaders. The Zambian people are overwhelmingly kind and the food is ... different but good. Nshima is eaten 3 times a day (so much carbs!). We found out the breakup of  how many of us will be in each province. We will be in Luapula (our intake is the FIRST to ever go to Luapula so it's very exciting), Eastern, Southern, Northern, and I think Central.  Everyone keeps emphasizing how Zambia is the BEST place to be a Peace Corps Volunteer. We will not receive OUR placements until formal training starts after site visit. I got a phone and it will cost you some money to call me but texts are cheap? or something. My number is: 00260976699846  (sorry mom I think I told you only one 0 at the beginning). Get a calling card, international plan, or go to Zaptel.com because they have calling cards you can print out and call me cheaply.

MISS YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH!

2 comments:

  1. So excited to hear more about your adventures, ma'am. I know you are going to make a huge difference in every person's life who you meet.

    ReplyDelete