Sunday, April 17, 2011

CHOPWA! (done-zo)

Training is Chopwa! My final LPI (30 minute oral language test) was Friday and I am hoping I rocked it so I can head to Kasama..

I now have the knowledge, tools, skills, and language to start community entry (first 3 months at site when I am not allowed to work yet or leave the village so that I can become 'integrated') Then in August I come back here for a two week In-Service-Training where I learn how to work effectively with all the information I have gathered at community entry. Then I go back in September just in time for Term 3 at the schools.

Training went by so fast. I've made some really great Friends in my village and have become real close with my family. My Bamayoo has taken such good care of me, my Batata has helped me with Bemba tremendously, and my siblings are amazing. My family here reminds me a lot of my family in New York. My little brother David- who was terrified of me and my Caucasian-ness when I first arrived now tells me these great, big, detailed stories every night before I go to bed. He is 4 and speaks only Nyanja (the local language here in Chongwe), but I pretend I know exactly what he is talking about because he just gets really excited and wide-eyed. We also have a secret handshake now -- we've made a lot of progress :) I am going to miss my sister Stella and her patience with my language and lack of dance skills. I think that I will miss my baby sister Jessica the most. Since I've been here she has started standing and walking and talking. She's the coolest baby in the world. I've taught her how to yell at our dog when it tries to bite or come in the house. I tried teaching her how to say Shannon but that's tricky you see- most Zambian adults struggle with it (the Sharon curse has come back to haunt me). But coming home to her is my favorite part of each day.

It will be hard to say goodbye but I have accepted that  goodbyes are frequent in PCZ. I get to see my friends every few months, teachers don't stay at the same school for more than a few years, and any volunteer I meet who is already working at site is closing their service soon or lives in a far away province. So relationships are interrupted and paused, people are never in one place for a long time except their own village with their own self. You've really got to be your own best friend out here and it doesn't work to depend on others alone for happiness. For example, when there are four bats flying around my hut and I'm terrified--I blast the most aggressive song on my ipod with the idea that maybe the bats will become intimidated by this angry gangster rapper in the hut and they will fly away. Then I just have to sit back and laugh because it's a pretty funny concept if you think of it and I have to tell myself it will be okay. So I know that probably sounds weird from your American perspective but I've really gotten used to hanging out with myself and becoming my own best friend.

hmm what else... Me and my friends did ZamPop for our culture presentation. This Tuesday we have culture day where we get to cook a bunch of American food for our families and say final farewells. And Thursday is SWEAR-IN! My Bamayoo sewed me a beautiful icitenge dress for swear-in.
Some more things I've learned:

-how to successfully make fire on an imbabula
-smelling food before eating is rude
-there is no child protection policy in place in Zambia
-How to speak in present, past, and future in iciBemba.
-Many children are absent from school during caterpillar season because caterpillar catching is a great way to make money ( and a delicious fried snack!)]

Okay-- I'll try to post again before I disappear for three months. That's all!

Send Me: Books to read!!!
                Pictures of you!
           

New Address:
Shannon Linehan/ PCV     <-- (no longer a trainee!)
P.O. Box 410374
Kasama, Zambia
 My Language group with my language teacher BaMusa
 The cutest little sister ever
 Photoshoot!
 &lt;3
 whoel family minus Batata
 Jessica and Bamayoo
 Cheeleelo, Bamayoo, Jess, Me, Stella, David
 My cousin Martin
 Beatrice and Jess
 Cheechiko people!
 Waitin for a ride



 Grill master
 Guac

 Heather :)


 "A snake just came into your hut and into your mosquito net"
 "You just finished service and now have to go back to America"

1 comment:

  1. Its very exciting that your being sworn in soon! Couldn't be more proud of all you are doing and how much you are enjoying the whole experience. Haha I like the bat story and LOVE that the Sharon curse has followed you down there!

    ReplyDelete